7.23.2013

On Well-Written Trash

Two of the books I've read recently have opened my eyes to the difference between “trash” and what I will, undoubtedly, refer to as “well-written trash” for the rest of forever. The books in question are JD Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye and JK Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy. It’s only a little ironic that both authors use two initials for the first name – and even more ironic that Salinger’s trash will probably always be more well-known than Rowling’s well-written trash.

What’s the difference, do you ask? The difference is that I read all 512 pages of The Casual Vacancy and couldn't force myself to read more than 5 or 10 pages of The Catcher in the Rye. A friend at work lent me her copy of Rowling’s “adult novel” that came out a while back, but that I had never heard much about since. She told me she had a hard time getting into it, so she never finished, but I figured there had to be something redeeming about it. It was written by the creator of Harry Potter, after all! How could she write anything not worth reading?

I was wrong. The Casual Vacancy is, more than anything, obscene. The language is filthy (this is an understatement) and the characters are dishonest and cruel and devoid of morality. Another reader who I love and respect nailed it when she said, “By the end of the book, I still didn't care about a single character.” It’s true. They’re all a bunch of trashy, shallow, selfish jerks who couldn't keep up with Harry Potter if their lives depended on it. But – here’s the catch – Rowling writes them well! Despite the language and the fact that I found myself skipping over entire passages and even chapters where I knew certain characters would use the “f word” more than any other, I was intrigued. Rowling’s words flow like a stream of poetry and life, and even though the content was horrible, I wanted to keep reading just because she is so incredibly good at telling a story.

As for JD Salinger. I have no idea why The Catcher in the Rye has received any praise whatsoever. I put it on my 2013 list because more than one person recommended it. I love my friends and am grateful that not all readers enjoy reading the same books, but this is one that I really can’t figure out. I picked it up shortly after reading The Casual Obscenity and was, honest-to-goodness, shocked that I preferred the “f word” to Salinger’s drawling conversation/novel. Rowling’s characters are filthy and shallow, but Salinger’s hero is nothing but stupid. I put the book down and asked my Dad about it. If he has a bad opinion of a book, I can guarantee that mine won’t be much different. When I told him I’d started Catcher, he winced and groaned as though he had eaten something nasty. And this is when I decided that there is a difference between trash and well-written trash. Both books might belong in the garbage, but at least Rowling wrote a book that has some semblance of merit.

Don’t waste your time if you’re looking for a good read. These two are not it. But if you don’t mind the swearing and explicit content, you better believe Rowling will TRASH Salinger from word one. Get it?



No comments: