7.04.2013

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books that I always remembered reading in school as a kid, but could never exactly remember what it was about or if it was good or not. Reading it as a middle school student was a long time ago and if I remember correctly, I did not enjoy it the first time. Over the years, I've heard references to Atticus Finch and Boo Radley numerous times - always with a hint of pride in knowing that these are characters from To Kill a Mockingbird. I finally read it - or, to be more precise, devoured it - as an adult. And found out why Atticus and Boo are notable characters that deserve to be referenced by the adult world over and over.

Isn't it funny how we hate reading these books when we're kids, but find so much joy in them later, when we've finally achieved something resembling maturity? I know I'm becoming a broken record, but I have to say it again. I loved this book. I loved the characters and the story and more than anything, the moral of the story. I love that Atticus Finch talks about racism and prejudice with the greatest scorn and sadness. I love that the Finch's black housekeeper, Culpurnia, is not just a cook/maid/babysitter, but a member of the family. I love that the characters love books. I love that Scout and Jem are Scout and Jem, not Jean Louise and Jeremy. I love that Harper Lee prefaced this edition of the book with the order that To Kill a Mockingbird should never be given an Introduction. I could hug her for that alone!

I'm glad I read this one again. I'm glad that a story told from a child's perspective was able to teach me, a mature, boring, bookish grown-up, a valuable lesson about what it means to be truly charitable. Being childlike is, after all, the surest way to see the good in everyone and to love others for who they truly are.


No comments: