7.23.2013

Re-Reads Worth Re-Reading

I already have posts about Melissa Moore’s Shattered Silence and Kelly Corrigan’s The Middle Place, both memoirs, but I read both of them again this week and couldn't resist posting about them again, as well. See my previous posts.

I love these two women. Melissa's story makes me appreciate the good, safe life I've lived, and Kelly makes me appreciate everything. Seriously. I'm grateful that I decided to read them both again, now that I'm a little bit older, married, done with school, thinking about starting a family, etc. I was amazed by how different my perspective was on both stories, but especially Kelly's. There's one story in particular that really touched me. It's about the struggle Kelly had as a young girl with friends, popularity (or the lack thereof), peer rejection, and all of those things most of us had to deal with at a young age. The conversation she had with her mother later in life about that experience - I won't repeat it, you'll have to read it yourself! - brought me to tears. The sweet love shared between mother and daughter is beautiful beyond words. 

Both of these books are fantastic and I will probably read them both again at some point. I gave my copy of The Middle Place away to a dear friend when she was facing her own battle with breast cancer a few years ago, so I'm currently without a copy. It may be one of my next book purchases. Please read it. You will love it.

Melissa will forever be one of my heroes. Did you know that the last time I posted about her book, her husband commented on it?! That was pretty amazing for me. To know that not only had I been touched by this book and by Melissa's strength and faith, but that she was able to read what I had to say about it and about her. She's amazing and I will stand by my previous comment: I will hug her when I meet her someday, even if it's in the next life. I hope to someday have as much faith as she does.

I love books about strong women. They inspire me to be a better daughter, sister, wife, and someday, I hope to be as good a mother as these two women. Thank you, Kelly and Melissa, for being the kind of women that I want to emulate. You are inspiring!

No comments: