12.01.2009

"Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech

Let's see if I can catch up on my book reviews a bit. How about one of my all-time favorites first?

My childhood friend Katie Casteel gave me my first (and only) copy of "Walk Two Moons" when I was eight or nine. At first I thought it was a little strange that she gave me a book for my birthday, but read it anyway and absolutely loved it! I can't tell you how many times I've read it since then. In 13 or 14 years I have probably read it 13 or 14 times. It is beautiful beyond words.

The story of Salamanca Tree Hiddle (yes, that is her name) is mysterious, heartwarming, and hilarious. Sal is a young girl looking for truth and direction in her life, which I think everyone can relate to. And I'm always surprised by how anxious I am to get to the end - as if the words on those well-loved pages might have changed since my last reading. And I'm always touched when the end comes. It doesn't matter how well I know what's coming. I'm always moved.

If that doesn't tell you that Creech is a fantastic writer, then I don't know what will. Read this one. It will always be one of my favorites and one that I always want to share! Let's see how many more readings I can get through before my book falls apart...

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wait! I thought the title was, Walk Two Moons In Someone Else's Moccasins. Oh, no, that was Courtney that thought that. He He!