12.01.2009

"Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine

"Ella Enchanted" is another childhood favorite! Like "Walk Two Moons," I've probably read "Ella" about a dozen times. I will admit that I still haven't seen the movie so I can't tell you how it relates, but I can tell you how much I love the book.

Ella is a classic Cinderella character, but with a little twist to the original story. Ella is cursed. She was given the gift of obedience as an infant by a well-meaning but hapless fairy. The "gift" however, creates more trial than blessing for Ella. She has to be obedient when given a command, so if someone told her to jump off a cliff... well you get the idea.

This might be my very favorite Cinderella story ever. It makes the classic fairytale princess seem real and even flawed. Ella is wonderful and I love reading about her over and over again. I think I read this book every year for a long time. It's been a while, but I read it again about a month ago and fell in love with Prince Charming and the Fairy Godmother all over again. Not to mention Ella!

1 comment:

Meg said...

i just read this. i think you'd like the movie too.