6.01.2009

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd

This was my first Sue Monk Kidd novel and I loved it! Now a "major motion picture" starring four amazing actresses, this is one of the most wonderful stories I have ever read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a moving and thought-provoking read.

I think the reason I loved it the most is because it shows that race should not be a barrier to love or companionship. A young, white girl born and raised in South Carolina (I think that's right... correct me if I mixed up my North and South!) finds herself living with four wonderful black women, each of whom is unique and special in their own way.

Just like any other story that truly takes me away, this one made me laugh and cry and love the characters for who they were and for what they were going through. I still haven't watched the movie (I wanted to read the book first), but I'm excited to see it, especially since Sophie Okonedo is in it. Kelly and I saw her on the London Underground last summer and she's one of my favorite actresses anywhere.

Read it first. Then come watch the movie with me!

1 comment:

Shay Lee said...

This book is definitely one of my all time favorites!! If you still have not seen the movie I wanted to tell you that it fallows the book very well from what I can remember. Although, as with most books one reads and loves, the book is still better.