10.15.2013

"The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis never fails. This was a quick and easy ready and I really enjoyed it. For some reason I was expecting something a little more like The Divine Comedy but was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful, profound, and inspiring The Great Divorce was.

This very short book is presented as one man's dream of Heaven and Hell and the great chasm between the two. Most of the book is observations of others and how they make their choice concerning where they will spend the eternities. I loved how honest and full-of-truth everything was . . . but also how fanciful and imaginative. My favorite thing is Lewis's emphasis on choice.

We have all been given the opportunity to live this life and to choose how we will live it. But I truly believe that this book captures another profound reality - we will all have the opportunity to choose how we live in the next life, as well.

Apparently C.S. Lewis wrote over 30 books? I want to read them all. Try this one if you need something super light and easy. It didn't take me more than a couple of hours and they were hours very well spent!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Thanks for the review. I'll have to read this one again.