9.20.2013

"Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

What can I say about the heroine of Mansfield Park, Fanny Price, to truly do her justice? It's rumored that Fanny was Jane Austen's personal favorite and I have to agree. However, I will admit that I was disappointed in this novel.

How can I love the heroine and not love the novel? Here's the confession: Like Emma, I will not deny that the movie version of Mansfield is much more enjoyable than the book version. I really, really, really love the movie. And especially love Fanny Price, played by the amazing Francis O'Connor, in the movie. I listened to the book on CD and was pretty bored the entire time, mostly because I expected more action and adventure. The movie takes all the core elements of the novel and magnifies them into something much more dramatic and, at times, even scandalous! Fanny is witty, outspoken, and extremely moralistic. (Is moralistic a word or did I just make that up?) In the novel she is much more timid, but I love her regardless.

The thing I love most about this novel is the way it portrays the "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality that has been present in human nature from the beginning of time. I love that Fanny gets a taste of many different aspects of human life, human relationships, and human existence in general. Most of all, I love that she consistently chooses the better part. She is a true heroine and even if the book is dreadfully slow, she is worth the effort.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I recommend that you read the book first. And then I'd be curious to hear if you're upset by the changes in the movie. It's a personal favorite and I will not be swayed, but I enjoy hearing differing opinions. Are you willing to take the challenge? I'll wait patiently for a thorough discussion afterwards!

No comments: