2.28.2013

"Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins

Well . . . I finished The Hunger Games series. While I will stand by my two previous claims that Suzanne Collins is a truly excellent writer, I have to admit that Mockingjay was so depressing that I almost regret reading the series. Almost.

Katniss is the symbol, the Mockingjay, of the rebellion against the Capitol. She and her friends, whether they like it or not, are now in the middle of a nation-wide war. Only now, Peeta has been captured and Gale's views on the lengths the rebels should go to in their push for freedom go against everything Katniss has been fighting against. She is forced to form new alliances, both pleasant and unwanted, and to finally choose how much she is willing to do in order to protect herself and her family.

When I finished this book, I immediately picked up the closest Jane Austen novel I could find. While I appreciated that Collins did not turn into Stephenie Meyer and serve me, her captive reader, a fairy-tale-happily-ever-after ending, the end of The Hunger Games was so sad that my first thought was, "Wow. This entire series may have been Suzanne Collins very own anti-war propoganda!" Anti-war propoganda written for teenagers. Go figure.

My final judgement on this one: Suzanne Collins did something brilliant with The Hunger Games. Perhaps the most brilliant thing about it is that many of the characters are so lovable that I wish I could go back and save them myself. If you're thinking of reading this series, be warned that the violence and sadness is ubiquitous. I told my mom the basic storyline and she was slightly mortified. I won't lie. I'm a little mortified myself after reading it. But whatever your opinion is of these novels, my hat truly goes off to the author.

I'd like to know what everyone else thought of this one. Did others have the same response I did? Which characters are you missing the most? I think I'd chose Cinna as a best friend if I could.

No comments: