3.28.2012

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

I remember reading "Frankenstein" in high school and being so bored that I couldn't finish. But reading it again for a college class was a much better experience! I LOVED it! The book is so well-written and the actual story is so much better than the Hollywood version that we automatically think of when we hear about Frankenstein's monster.

Mary Shelley was the daughter of two famous English writers, Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin. She married Percy Shelley, another famous writer, and wrote "Frankenstein" as part of a ghost story contest with Percy and some other big writers of the time. It's amazing to me that THIS is what she came up with. The story is beautiful and tragic and horrifying all at once.

Definitely read it if you haven't already. And I'll leave it up to you to decide who the real monster is: Victor Frankenstein or his creature.

1 comment:

Meg said...

You know- I think I've read this too.