12.06.2011

"Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer

Every once in a while, when I'm not completely bogged down with reading for one of my many English classes, I find time to read something just for fun.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to grab "Into Thin Air" off the shelf at work. I remember when it first came out and my brother Brian read it (being a climbing enthusiast) and told me how good it was. So all these years later, I finally decided I should give it a try.

Most horrifying story I have ever read in my life.

I cannot believe what people go through to climb Mount Everest. It's true that you have to have some level of craziness to even want to attempt it. I never realized how incredibly difficult (is that the world's greatest understatement?) it is for people to do this. And reading about a climb where so many people died was heartbreaking.

Jon did an amazing job describing the events of that fatal Everest climb. Despite being horrified the entire time, I couldn't put the book down. Jon writes it in such a way that you have to keep reading because you have to find out what happens to everyone. I admire his courage in writing such a difficult and personal story, especially since so many of the survivors have had to deal with countless problems because of their experience on the mountain.

I don't regret reading this. It took me long enough and now I know why people always say how good it is, but also seem to shudder when they say it.

Most of all, I am very, VERY grateful that none of my loved ones have dreams of climbing Everest.

1 comment:

Meg said...

so you think kim and bud just to name a few do not have dreams of climbing everest? maybe.