8.12.2010

"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

The incredible true story of Elizabeth Gilbert and her year-long journey around the world to find, essentially... God. She visits Italy, India, and Indonesia - spending four months in each place and spending that time to find the important pieces missing from her life.

Liz (I feel like she's a friend of mine) tells her story with so much honesty and warmth. Her experiences make me want to have more wonderful experiences of my own. I want to explore the world and discover those things that she discovered. I think that if I didn't have the Gospel in my life, I would be Liz Gilbert in a way! A friend once told me, "I don't know what souls are made of, but whatever it is, so-and-so's soul and mine are made of the same thing."

That's how I feel about Liz Gilbert! I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. You can skip chapter 100 if you want, but other than that a little bit of language you shouldn't feel too nervous. The story is beautiful, the people are beautiful, the places are beautiful. But most of all, Elizabeth Gilbert is beautiful and talented and I appreciate her life and her story for so many reasons.

Besides, I love eating, I love praying, and I love loving!!!

3 comments:

tifsong said...

and i love, you.

Kathy Smith said...

I am on chapter 66 of Eat, Pray, Love and really loving it. Kim warned me that Liz is all about Liz and she couldn't take that, but Liz admits freely, right up front, that this is all about her. The Italy part made me want to go to Italy, speak Italian, and eat, and maybe improve my cooking. I'm in the India section, and though I began it skeptically, I learned something about prayer. I will be skipping chapter 100 and trying not to think about what Stephanie should not have read either; the language is occasionally contemporary vulgarity which is so unbecoming on an otherwise beautiful woman (and the men in the book) but I can deal with it.
I'm enjoying this book, and turning down some corners to re-read. I love your adventurous spirit too, Steph, and everything about you that's so much more grounded than Liz but accepts people for who they are.
Love,
Momma

Becky said...

Did you see the movie? If so, does it include chapter 100? Would you recommend the movie, again, if you've seen it?